Monday, March 29, 2010

Grand Wailea and Luau - March 2, 2010

Today we went to south Maui...Wailea area. We ate breakfast in Kihei and then drove towards the Grand Wailea. Jim and the kids and I stayed there 16 years ago when Jim had a convention there. It was and still is the most beautiful hotel we've ever stayed at. I wanted to show Abby and Daddy the grounds and also wanted to buy a sun visor in the gift shop. There is a public beach access between the Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons, so we parked and walked down to the beach. We've snorkeled there many times, but we didn't have any snorkel gear with us on this trip. I laid out in the sun for a while and my Dad found some shade and took a nap. Abby explored down the beach. After almost 2 hours on the beach we decided to go to the Grand Wailea. We went to one of the poolside bars and had a drink before touring the grounds.
Here are a few photos taken there...

Daddy's nap spot...






We went back to Lahaina in time to get ready for the luau. Jim, and the kids and I had been to the Old Lahaina Luau in 1991. I remember the kalua pig being one of the best things I've ever eaten, so I was excited to be eating it again for supper. The entire show costs $95 per person, but you get a lot for your money. When you go in they are serving drinks and there is an open bar. There were several artists showing their wares of local Hawaiian crafts and selling them. The highlight for me was to watch them uncover the pig. The pig is laid on top of lava rocks, then lava rocks are inserted into the cavity and then it is covered with banana leaves. The last step is to mound a big pile of sand on top of it.







The luau supper is buffet style. OMG, the food is SO good!



After supper there is a hula show that is second to none! It is very entertaining. After the show we went back to the hotel...to pack. It was time to leave Hawaii the next day : ( !

2 comments:

Care said...

Wow that is beautiful. How long are you guys there? Did you move there?

sjrellis said...

I'm back, Carolyn. It just took a while to get the blog done! Stay tuned for my next trip!

Your girls are SO precious. I just want to gobble them up!!