Sunday, February 12, 2012

Left knee

About 3 1/2 years ago I finally decided to get my left knee looked at. It had really been bothering me for several years and it was finally time! I was sure that I would need surgery on it and then it would be perfect. So, I went to the orthopedic doctor who ordered xrays and an MRI on my knee. Got those done and waited to see what the results were. Well, it was good ol' arthritis! He said he could give me a cortisone shot and that would make it feel better. Ok, I was reluctant, but thought 'what the heck'. The shot made my knee feel fantastic...for about 3 weeks! So, it just so happened that Jim was going to be working in Missouri for about a year and there was a chiropractor in town that also did acupuncture. I decided to give that a try. THAT NIGHT AFTER MY FIRST VISIT I COULD SQUAT! Now, I'm sure that might not sound like a big deal, but believe me, it was! I continued to get acupuncture for about 9 months and it was wonderful. Fast forward to now living (part time for me) in Ohio. I have had a little problem with my knee, but nothing like prior to the initial acupuncture treatment. While I was home in Texas for Christmas, I really thought about needing to lose weight. I don't have a lot of discipline, so I knew it would need to be something kinda drastic...so I decided to have acupuncture. I have a friend that had lost weight from it before, so I was encouraged. Also, my results while in Missouri had been fantastic.

I found a doctor that does acupuncture in Toledo and made an appointment. The first appointment was to last 2-3 hours. I went for that first appointment on February 3. She didn't have me fill out all the normal patient info, instead she just talked and asked me questions for about an hour. Afterwards, I was ready for my first treatment. I soon discovered that there are many different kinds of acupuncture and what she does was different than what the doctor in Missouri does.

She does what is called 5 Element Acupuncture. I was undressed except for my panties and a hospital gown. She put needles in my back and I laid on my side for 30+ minutes. After that she put some needles in my arms and chest. I was now ready to lose weight! That night Jim asked me how I felt and I said "I feel like I own the world". I had that much positivity in me! I felt wonderful and wanted more of it!!

I went back the next week and she started out doing something that seemed so totally strange! She had a lit incense stick (?) and told me that she was going to hold it over my acupuncture points at my cuticles and I was to let her know when it got hot. It was not going to be touching my skin, but would get hot. She told me that she would be counting and to just say "hot" and she would move it away. She started on my pinkie and went through all of my fingers and did my pinkies again. Next she moved to do it at my toes. She went through the same thing on all of my toes and did my big toes and baby toes twice. I asked her what she was going and she said she was getting me in balance with my meridians. Ok.

Next she put little mounds of Chinese Mugwort (I think...gotta ask again) on my back and lit them with the incense stick. When they got hot, she would pinch off the herb and then put a needle where it had been. She did this up and down my back in about 12 different places. Next she put needles in my arm (w/o the mugwort).

The day afterwards I was in Costco with a friend and there was a lady giving samples of different chocolates. Of course, me being the chocolate lover I was going to get me a taste. I got a half of a caramel dipped in milk chocolate and sprinkled with salt...simply divine! Like a party in my mouth...normally!!! Well, I was so surprised when I didn't want anymore. I mean, you couldn't have forced it into my mouth!! Usually, I would have easily been able to eat 3, 4 or more of those! I was really excited to realized that I DID NOT WANT CHOCOLATE!!! That is such a new experience for me! All weekend I have not wanted anything sweet, not a Dr Pepper, not a cookie, nothing! I am so excited because I know this will enable me to lose weight! BTW, I've lost 5 pounds since January 30!

Here is a link of the acupuncture she does...

http://www.5-elementacupuncture.com/pages/about.html

I will report back about my results!

No comments: