Friday, September 18, 2009

Denali

Wow, Denali National Park where the highest peak, Mt. McKinley, in North America is. It started out a gloomy kind of day, but we had tickets for a 6:30AM bus into the park. You can only go into the park 15 miles in a private vehicle. We boarded the bus and headed out. First we saw some caribou. A caribou and a reindeer are the same thing, fyi. When we came to animals, the driver would stop and let us watch and take photos. We got to one normal stopping point and there were 2 red foxes running around. They were within about 12-15 feet of people that were standing around. I snapped a few quick pics of them. We also saw quite a few rabbits and squirrels running around. When we reached the Eilson Center, we coud not see Mt. McKinley. We toured around in the building looking at maps, photos and pictures and headed back to the bus to eat our lunch. (I had ordered lunch from the hotel) When we were leaving Eilson Center, our driver told us that a bus coming in had just seen some grizzly bears. I was so excited! After driving for about 15 minutes, I saw them! When you saw wildlife, you were supposed to holler to the driver. As soon as I saw them I hollered "grizzlies on the left". The driver stopped and I took a bunch of pictures. There were 3 bears just rambling along eating the tundra. The photos of them are some of mine and Jim's favorites. We continued along and FINALLY I saw it...a MOOSE! I had wanted to see a moose really bad. We saw a Mom and her baby laying on the ground. I never saw a bull moose, but I was ok with that. We continued down the mountain seeing some more animals, but it began to rain, so we could not see so well. After we got back into our car, we stopped at a couple of gift shops and bought a few postcards before heading back to the Lakeview Inn. We rested and ended up not going out for any supper. The next day we were leaving Alaska...

No comments: