Monday, September 07, 2009

Juneau




We woke up Monday morning to a very dreary, rainy day. We were scheduled to go zip lining, and we were not sure if we would go or not. Daddy was just going to go in to town while we were gone, so we grabbed breakfast in the Windjammer and headed to the dock. We waited under a shelter until we found out that we would indeed be going zip lining. There were just 3 of us. Jim and I and another girl. We got on a small boat and took it over to Douglas Island. When we got there, we geared up into the harnesses, put our stuff into a bin and headed out to a weird Mercedes vehicle to take us up the hill (mountain?) to where we would start our zip lining. We were going to zip line over the deepest gold mine in the world, the Treadway Mine. It was quite a ride up and over all of the obstacles, but we finally arrived. We had a brief lesson at the "bunny zip". I had zip lined in Costa Rica last year, so I was quite confident in myself. It was different, in that we had to brake with our hands versus slowing down with our legs spread out and our left hand steered. It turned out to be more challenging than I expected, but I was sure that I had it down! Wrong!! After the first few zips, the guide tells me and the other girl that we need to use a different technique so that we are more in control of stopping. After that, it was much better. Jim loved it, but I told him that I thought it was better in Costa Rica because of the way you are hooked onto the cables. Fun, however! Because there were only 3 of us zipping, we were back on the ship in just a few hours. We found Daddy resting on the couch. We rousted him up and we went back into town, back in the rain! I had read that we needed to eat at Tracy's Crab Shack, so we headed there. We ate king crab, crab bisque, and crab cakes. They were delish! We shopped through town and went back to the ship.

1 comment:

Care said...

how fun. it looks beautiful there!